The Rising Pune Supergiant confirmed their place in the play-offs with a comprehensive victory over the Kings XI Punjab at home by 9 wickets. In doing so, they also went up to the second place on the points table. Winning the toss, RPS skipper Steve Smith chose to bowl first and his bowlers didn’t let him down. They bowled out the KXIP for a mere total of 73 runs with Shardul Thakur being the pick of the bowlers with figures of 3-19 in his 4 overs. Jaydev Unadkat, Dan Christian and Adam Zampa also picked up a couple of wickets each and hence dismantled the KXIP batting line-up.
The Rising Pune Supergiant chased down the total inside 12 overs losing just one wicket in the form of Rahul Tripathi (28). Ajinkya Rahane (34) and Steve Smith (15) were the others who contributed with the bat and remained unbeaten at the crease.
Let us now have a look at the performers and the non-performers from the game.
1) Shardul Thakur: He has been a revelation with the ball in this season for the Rising Pune Supergiant. He went on to claim 3-19 in his 4 overs today and completely broke the backbone of the Kings XI Punjab side. Shaun Marsh (10), Rahul Tewatia (4) and Glenn Maxwell (0) were his victims as KXIP lost half of their side inside the power-play.
2) Jaydev Unadkat: He was the one who started everything for RPS as he dismissed Martin Guptill right on the first delivery of KXIP’s innings. He bowled a superb spell of 2-12 in his three overs which also included a maiden over. Moreover, he also effected a superb run-out to dismiss Eoin Morgan.
3) Daniel Christian: He came on to bowl much later on in the innings. However, he claimed the two most important wickets of Wriddhiman Saha (13) and Axar Patel (22) who could have easily taken the game away from them.
1) Martin Guptill: Although Guptill smashed a quick-fire fifty in his very first outing of this tournament, he did hardly anything noticeable in rest of the matches. And he continued the same today as he was dismissed right on the first ball of KXIP’s innings. Thus, he was out for a golden duck and their downfall began with him.
2) Glenn Maxwell: The whole KXIP team and their supporters were looking up to their skipper Glenn Maxwell to dig them out of trouble. However, he was out caught at deep square leg while attempting a big shot off Shardul Thakur’s bowling. He flicked the ball bowled on his pads only to be caught by Ajinkya Rahane at deep square leg. Moreover, he went wicket-less conceding 15 runs off his two overs.
3) Rahul Tewatia: He was promoted up the batting order today. However, he could hardly do anything today as he was caught at short fine leg by Jaydev Unadkat of Shardul Thakur’s bowling. Thus, he departed for just 4 runs made of three deliveries. However, he was economical with the ball giving away just 14 runs in his 3 overs. But, that was not enough to do the trick for them.