Antonio Conte’s first season at Chelsea has been a memorable one as he has led them to the Premier League title with two games to spare. The game at the Hawthorns was a night to remember as Chelsea won their sixth Premier League crown overall and a fifth one in the 21st century
How it all began?
Chelsea began their campaign with a 2-1 win over West Ham, at Stamford Bridge. The game was heading for a draw before Diego Costa netted a late winner to begin Antonio Conte’s Chelsea era in dramatic fashion.
The next five games saw Chelsea win two games, draw once and lose twice, which saw them sit in 8th place, clocking 10 points out of a possible 18 and many talks were on about Chelsea looking to replicate their previous season where they eventually ended up finishing 10th.
The glorious 13 match winning streak
However, talks ended before you knew it. The month of October brought good fortune for the West London club, 6 match weeks later they were at the top of the table and since game week 12 they have stayed there. The best teams came their way but the result remained the same, some memorable results include:
Chelsea 4-0 Manchester United (23rd October 2016)
Chelsea 5- 0 Everton (5th November 2016)
Manchester City 1-3 Chelsea (3rd December 2016)
All was well until the end of the calendar where Chelsea won on the final day 4-2 against Stoke City. Come 2017, the streak was brought to an end. Chelsea lost at White Hart Lane putting an end their memorable record. They were on course of matching Arsenal’s 14 match unbeaten streak back in 2002, but their North London rivals Tottenham put an end to it.
Numbers to be noted from the 13 match unbeaten streak
- Goals scored during this time 32 goals and conceded just 4 goals, that’s phenomenal, a 28 goal difference something they would hope to replicate next season.
- Clean sheets by Courtois the during this winless streak = 10
- The highlight which sums up Chelsea’s entire season, despite there been standout performances, the Premier League wouldn’t be theirs if it wasn’t a team effort. Chelsea managed 32 goals during this run, this included 9 different goal scorers, Costa at the top with nine goals.
Fixtures post-game week 20 that stood out
- Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea (1st February 2017)
This game can be seen as unlucky from Chelsea’s end, they were comfortable throughout the first half but a header from Wijnaldum in 57th minute helped the home side grab a point. Chelsea didn’t manage three points in this fixture as Costa missed a late penalty.
This fixture was David Luiz’s first goal for Chelsea since April 2013, 4 years ago and was Simon Mignolet’s sixth penalty save of his Premier League career, he has faced 14 in total.
- Manchester United 2-0 Chelsea (16th April 2017)
A loss to Manchester United in mid-April. This loss is one that hurt Chelsea, they were exposed during the game and it was Manchester United’s first win over the Blues in nine attempts and it came at the hands of former boss Jose Mourinho.
- Chelsea 4-2 Southampton (26th April 2017)
Despite there being 3 goal scorers, Costa’s brace remains memorable as he managed to score his 50th and 51st Premier League goals for the Blues.
- Chelsea 3-0 Middlesbrough (6th May 2017)
After the victory at Stamford Bridge against Middlesbrough, Chelsea were just one win away to clinch the Premier League title, a much-deserved honour and a huge morale boost after club’s disappointing spell last season. This loss for Middlesbrough meant they are officially relegated from top flight football but have three games to add a consolation to their season.
This game stood out for two reasons, Chelsea managed to be the third club that managed 300 premier league home wins just behind Arsenal (306) and Manchester United (347). The second reason is Cesc Fabregas, he managed 11 assists, which means he becomes the first player to record 10 asissts or more in six seasons.
Fabregas’ assist tally is so special because he has made just 26 appearances for Chelsea this season, which involved coming off the bench 15 times.
In a total of 36 game weeks so far, Chelsea has managed 87 points out a possible 108, clocking 28 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses along the way. This also includes 76 goals scored and 29 goals conceded.
To sum up the season…
- Diego Costa (20 goals) overall 4th in the league
- Eden Hazard (15 goals) overall 9th in the league
- Cesc Fabregas (11 assists) overall 4th in the league
- Cesar Azpilicueta (2,341 passes) highest in the league
- N’Golo Kante (2,011 passes) overall 7th in the league
- Games played- 36 games
- Points earned: 87 points
- Scored- 76