The Royal Challengers Bangalore continued their horrific run in the tournament as they went down to the Kings XI Punjab by 19 runs at their own den. Winning the toss, RCB chose to bowl first and did pretty well to restrict the visitors to a total of 138/7 in their 20 overs. However, what followed next was another batting collapse as they were bowled out for just 120 runs as a result of a superb bowling effort by the KXIP bowlers.
Also Read: CSK and RR set to return to IPL
Let us now have a look at the performers and the non-performers from the game-
1) Axar Patel: Axar once again proved today why he is KXIP’s most valuable player. He performed with both bat and ball when his team needed it the most. First, he scored an unbeaten 38 off just 17 deliveries and propelled his team to a respectable total of 138 runs. Then he picked up three important wickets with the ball giving away just 11 runs in his three overs. No wonder why his skipper Maxwell calls him ‘The Rockstar’.
2) Sandeep Sharma: It is said that ‘Heroes are born in times of difficulties’. And Sandeep Sharma proved this old proverb to be true today as he accounted for RCB’s three batting pillars in Kohli, De Villiers and Gayle. He finished up with a spell of 4-22-3 and proved once again why he is their best bowler.
3) Glenn Maxwell: He may not have done the job with the bat having scored only six runs. However, he made sure that he compensates for it with the ball as he picked up 2 wickets giving away just 15 runs in his three overs. Those couple of wickets also included the wicket of Mandeep Singh (46) who was holding the key for RCB to chase down the target.
1) Chris Gayle: He would have liked to make a mark in this match with a good performance with the bat. For he had been dropped from the team for the past few matches and it was a perfect time to prove himself. However, he became a victim to a storm brought on by Sandeep Sharma as early as the second ball of their run chase. He gave away a simple catch to Martin Guptill off Sandeep’s bowling and hence departed for a duck after facing only a couple of deliveries.
2) Virat Kohli: It is quite surprising and shocking to see his name in this section. However, you have to believe your eyes as all know that he hasn’t been in the best of forms in this tournament. He continued his torrid time as Sandeep Sharma cleaned him up with a superb delivery. Thus, he departed for just 6 runs made off six deliveries leaving RCB in trouble at 23/2.
3) Shane Watson: He is not the same player as he used to be once – neither with the bat nor with the ball. When the opposition put up just 139 runs on the board, he leaked 43 runs in his 4 overs at an economy rate of over 10. And when it came to digging his team out of trouble with the bat, he failed to deliver there as well scoring only 3 runs of six deliveries.
Cover Image Credits: Wah Cricket