Records are meant to be broken, and that is exactly what Christopher Henry Gayle did tonight by becoming the first player to reach a landmark of 10,000 runs in T20 cricket. Gayle scored a quick fire 77 of 38 balls. His innings included five boundaries and seven 6's.
A post shared by Follow Your Sport (@followyoursport) on Apr 18, 2017 at 11:13am PDT
Gayle has always been known for his destructive batting. Today was no different as Gayle along with the skipper Virat Kohli laid the foundation for a huge total. Gujarat's batsmen couldn't do much and ended up losing the match by 21 runs.
Many records were created and broken during the game, let's have a look at few of those.
1. Chris Gayle became the first batsman to score 10,000 runs in T20s.
2. Chris Gayle became, the first player, to score 10,000 runs in all three formats – First-Class, List-A and T20 cricket.
3. April 18 in cricket history:
- 1986 – Miandad's last-ball six.
- 1992 – SA's readmission.
- 1994 – Lara 375.
- 2008 – McCullum 158*.
- 2017 – Gayle 10,000 T20 runs landmark.
4. Ravindra Jadeja became the 6th bowler to have been hit for more than 100 sixes in IPL
5. Gayle and Kohli become the first pair to register 10-century partnerships in T20s.
6. Today was the 47th time Gayle scored 75 or more in a T20 match. No other player has done it even 20 times, Kohli (19) is next.
A post shared by Follow Your Sport (@followyoursport) on Apr 18, 2017 at 8:56am PDT
7. Jadeja's conceded over 57 runs. His most expensive spell in T20 cricket.
8. 13 times RCB has scored 200+ in IPL, most by any team.
9. McCullum on April 18 in IPL:
- 2008 – 158* (73)
- 2011 – 47 (33)
- 2012 – 15 (18)
- 2014 – 67 (45)
- 2017 – 72 (44)
- 18th MoM award in IPL – most by any player.
- 49th MoM award in T20s – most by any player.
11. Chris Gayle has scored more T20 runs in boundaries alone (7,530) than any other player has in their career overall.